PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hawker Hunter Crash at Shoreham Airshow
View Single Post
Old 14th Mar 2016, 11:48
idle bystander

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Tourist:
My point is that everything we do has a greater or lessor effect on others. I am never quite sure why we hold aviation to completely different standards to any other industry.
Because we have a God-(or Dawkins)-given fear of heights and know that flying is intrinsically an extremely dangerous occupation for a heavy creature that doesn't have wings. The fact that flying is so comparatively safe and accidents are so comparatively rare, is due to the entirely laudable safety culture that has grown up around aviation.
Way back, when I served as a humble badger (of sorts) in the real Ark Royal, I was impressed and strongly influenced by the fact that throughout the entire ship, from deck 9 upwards, one would find "Flight Safety is everyone's business" posters - a vital message that is, I feel, unique to the aviation business.
This state of affairs is undermined by the obvious amateurishness and ineptitude of those responsible for the Shoreham display as shown in the AAIB Special Bulletin. Those (some of them on this forum) who are blasé about Shoreham, who say "let's move on, lesson have been learned, etc", are contributing to the decline in professional and safety standards that the Shoreham disaster exemplifies. The only reaction a professional should feel is outrage that his profession has been so badly let down.