PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Further CASA CTAF problems shows not working!
Old 13th Mar 2016, 22:17
Sunfish

Received 90 Likes on 33 Posts
AOTW, I disagree, this "change resistant mindset" is a purely military phenomenon. There is no civilian counterpart. I will try to explain.

All military organisations rely on a structure of Officers and other ranks. The first and absolute requirement that is taught is "obedience to orders" of your superiors. There is absolutely no civilian organisational counterpart of this stricture in a democratic free market economy, ever.

It is drilled into the heads of every Officer and NCO that everything, including your very life, is subservient to the obedience of orders from a superior. This tension, between "orders" and "life" has been the subject of tens of thousands dramas since the dawn of time.

This is such a basic requirement that we later have to try and beat it out of some officers because we want them to show something called "initiative" not blind dumb obedience.

…So we then take an authoritarian ( in peacetime the authoritarians control the defence forces) officer who is used to being obeyed without question by his deemed subordinates and shove him in a civilian business environment where not only is there not a rigid hierarchy like she was used to, but people actually answer back! The horror! Quite a few cannot stand this and then seek to remould the organisation to their alma mater, chiefly by hiring their friends who have the same traits, being part of the same club.

Needless to say, if folk with this personality inhabit CASA then Dick is absolutely right to criticise the CASA culture.

I worked for Two of these military types at different times. It was an extremely unpleasant experience and of course entirely unproductive for the organisations concerned. Both of them presided over businesses that should have thrived except for their resistance to any form of change.