PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A.S.T. Perth (Scone) 1966
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2016, 20:48
Chris Scott

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Accommodation was somewhat haphazard in early 1966, but would improve later in the year when a couple of new blocks were completed. They would boast en-suite washrooms for each student, but no such luxury was available for yours truly in the first half of the year. I had a room in a "Bothy", near the south-east perimeter of the airfield, that I shared with Nigel Flack (Course 31) and Peter Leith-Smith (32)

The "Bothy"

The Bothy was about a hundred yards from the messing facilities, which made for slow progress to breakfast when the snow came in February. The photo was probably taken in April or May, apparently looking north-east, and the short-wheelbase Land Rover that was routinely outside by then was Nigel's. It needed a lot of work, and he had the unnerving habit of carrying out some of this while driving. That led to one or two close shaves, earning him the soubriquet - coined by Peter, IIRC - of "Death Flack".

My room, at the front of the Bothy

If it was 8 o'clock, as the clock suggests, that would have been P.M.; in which case at 20:00 BST (1900Z) the sunlight streaming in the window at a low angle above the horizon suggests these Bothy photos were taken in late April.

Last edited by Chris Scott; 1st Jan 2019 at 18:02. Reason: Reinstating the two images