PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ed Force One - Iron Maiden's B747 damaged on the ground in SCEL
Old 13th Mar 2016, 18:43
Krystal n chips
Thought police antagonist

Location: Where I always have been...firmly in the real world
Received 119 Likes on 86 Posts
" Why are nosewheel steering lockout pins used at all?
I flew the Fokker 100 and they just had a switch. Unlikely for that to fall out isn't it.

True, but equally more likely to fail in comparison to a large robust lump of metal, albeit a glorified pip-pin.

Having towed 747's, as an engineer on the F/D, with the 1/2 /300 series, there were always two upstairs, one sat at the F/E's panel and another in the Capt's seat.

The view from the cockpit is limited to say the least, in comparison to other types, because the 747 tow bar is very compact and hence the tug is underneath the aircraft. Hand signals were more than sufficient from the tug crew however.

I will admit that, I have witnessed engineers take a very cavalier and indifferent approach to operating the brakes....the worst being when one let his ten year old son effectively perform the operation, not on a 747 I hasten to add. Others sat there with their feet on the combing and just assume "all will be well". As ever, much depends on the operator and professional standards of the engineer.

As for the pin location, true, it's not the best design and this was remedied with the 757/767 with a large handle added in addition to the pin installed vertically.

Regarding this incident however, as with all accidents and incidents, lets wait for the report shall we.

And my sympathies go out to the tug crew for a full recovery as well as to the engineers involved.