PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA911 G-APFE Mt. Fuji crash
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2016, 17:56
KMSS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shaggy Sheep Driver
But as I-42 pointed out, the destructive rotor which caused the accident only exists at or below the height of the mountain, unlike the wave (indicated by the lenticulars) which can be many times summit height but is non-destructive.
Such a tragic accident.

Just looking at my glider logbooks. I see a number of flights over 10000' msl in waves from the low ridges of the central and northern Appalachians. I often noted the turbulence as well in my logs. Some of these flights were from airports where the upwind ridges are no more than 1000' above valley level (typically 600-800 msl on the airport).

Very familiar (and satisfying) experience to be working the ragged lift of the turbulent zone well above ridge level, and then climbing into the laminar wave.

Could be the poster quoted above is correct about the rotor zone. I'm not sure if this turbulence I've flown in is strictly "rotor" or how it occurs. I'm just offering a PIREP that it's there, well above the height of the peaks, and wondering about its mechanism...