PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nerves and flying for the sake of keeping current
Old 13th Mar 2016, 17:54
Shaggy Sheep Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What some others have said. It's normal to be nervous if you haven't flown for a while, and slightly apprehensive every time you fly. Currency is the key - the more often you fly the more at home in the aeroplane you'll feel.

There are those on here who will disagree but I divide pilots into two types; tourers and aviators. Or as someone a lot more experienced than me (probably either Brian Lecomber or John Farley) defined them, 'pure' and 'applied' flyers. The 'pure' or aviators fly taildraggers short distances to farm strips and aerobat them on the way.The 'applied' or 'tourers' use the aeroplane to go places, sometimes IMC. Which are you?

I put myself firmly in the 'aviator', 'pure' camp. I have or had little interest in going places and love nice handling aeroplanes, interesting strips and simple aeros.

Aeroplanes cost 'X' per hour to operate or to hire no matter what you do with them (though capable tourers cost more than fun taildraggers) and I always thought (a purely personal view!) there are more bangs per buck doing it the way I did, or maybe that's just me.

But you can spend 1 hour flying to a strip and doing some aeros on the way there and back every week for seven weeks (different strip, though, probably). Or you can spend the same time / money on one flight every 7 weeks going to LTQ for lunch.

If you are rich, you can go to LTQ for lunch every Sunday, and do your stripping and aeros in your other aeroplane on Saturdays. I am not rich. I had to choose.

So, to maximise the 'richness of experience' per hour be an aviator. Stick to one type (get a share) so you have the time on type to 'meld' with it and become as one with it. That takes away a lot of the nervousness even if finances, wx, or availability mean a lay off for a few weeks.

That's what I did. It may not be what others want to do. I may not be what you want to do. But I offer it as no more than a suggestion which may or may not appeal, as a possible answer to your very real question.