PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Further CASA CTAF problems shows not working!
Old 13th Mar 2016, 17:11
actus reus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mr Smith,
You have done some amazing things yourself as a pilot and I am the first to congratulate you on your ability to continue through what must have been some very 'puckering' moments.

However, if your 'day' job is teaching people how to do high angle, dive bombing at night from the back seat of a fighter, then you can get that 'pucker' factor without any fanfare at all.

RAAF ATCs come to the fore when there are MULTIPLE aircraft, most of which have no gas, all trying to land ASAP; something that I know civilian ATCs can handle (many of those boys and girls are ex military anyway) but they are not called on to do it often if at all. They have other challenges which I guess are equally demanding at times.

The 'management' in the military is not the problem. It is 'attitude', the approach to getting the job done with the minimum of fuss, which most probably is the same in the civilian world, and an understanding of a 'duty of care'.
So, go ahead with knocking ATC/Military/lack of short cuts in Willy's airspace but leave the people out of it: including senior management of the RAAF.

Bloggs,
How do you think any 'lead' would go on a dark night at Saltash or the shooting world?

In the civilian realm, most probably only AG pilots, particularly those who do night spraying on cotton or some such, would know how 'exciting' a day to day job can be.

No elitism intended here; aviation is tricky from the air and from the ground (ATC). We all do our best.

Get that on 'sixty minutes'.