PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Fairey Firefly at Duxford
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2003, 00:45
Rallye Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wasn't at Duxford on Saturday. We heard the news at North Weald soon afterwards.

I did attend on Sunday. Being in two minds about it, I decided to go as a way of paying my respects.

What did surprise me was that there was no mention of the accident whatsoever. It was as if they had never existed. What was wrong with having a minute's silence before the display began?

Hats off though, to all the pilots who carried on under difficult circumstances to complete their displays on both days.

After the appalling way the media broadcast explicit footage of the accident very shortly after it had happened and the subsequent over-the-top reporting it doesn't help the aviation's case to speculate here.

I lost a friend in the L39 accident at Duxford. The AIIB report was published last week, and could not establish a definite cause. It annoys me that the media are now trying to link two completely different sets of circumstances to imply that Duxford is somehow not a place where airshows should be held.

My condolences go out to the families of the dead crew and to all those involved in the Royal Navy Historic Flight at this time. Let's hope they don't have to endure this trauma ever again.

RD