PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying, not what I thought it would be like
Old 13th Mar 2016, 11:03
AerocatS2A

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
PrivatePilotDA40NG, the problem you have stems from the conflict between your ideal of "flying" and the reality of flying for a job. You need to disassociate the two things. Flying can be fantastically fun and free but airline flying is not in that category. Airline flying is a way to make a living out of what is a hobby for many people. But you need to be clear that as soon as you start doing something for a living you are playing by someone else's rule book and the fun factor can quickly disappear.

Consider that someone who loves writing may not necessarily love being a columnist for a magazine, or a band may not necessarily enjoy being held to a contract that requires an album per year.

You can get what you want from flying but you may need to look outside of work for it. Try gliding or something. In the meantime see your job for what it is. A hell of a lot better than working in an office somewhere 9am to 5pm, 5 days a week, and a means to get an income. It's a job, and not a bad one, but don't confuse it with a hobby.

What you're experiencing is why I have never understood the rush to get into the airlines. Some of the best flying you do in your career is for a little GA company flying piston singles for not much money, unfortunately many pilots skip that step and then find that airline flying is not what they thought it was. Then they become bitter and unpleasant to fly with. Don't be like that.

Edit: Also whole heartedly agree with the comments above about having a goal. I think it is a basic need in many of us to want to be working towards something. Working towards the goal and the anticipation of achieving it can provide years of satisfaction while the feeling you get after attaining your goal is fleeting.