PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The wind knocked out of my sails today..
View Single Post
Old 13th Mar 2016, 10:17
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G

Having thought about your post I have to say I am not clear on the science of what you are saying
I presume you are arguing that no extra speed should be added for gusts and windshear and Infact increasing speed is negative above 1.3 Xs the stall in a given configuration.

Turbulence windshear is not a condition confined to landing but obviously something which can be encountered at altitude and at cruise speed in the form of severe turbulence or inadvertent CB intrusion
Normally experiencing such turbulence means an instant reduction in speed to VA
We have to dissect two aspects here loss of control authority and danger of stall at two slow a speed and over stressing the airframe
It's a bit like a high powered speed boat crashing into waves or riding waves but aeroplanes don't float )

As stated I experienced airspeed leaps of plus and minus 25 KTS and it doesn't take much maths to work out the danger at being at a normal VREF

Turning to light GA Pistons I don't think the FAA or EASA would stipulate 50% of the gust factor added to VREF if they didn't have good reason to do so
Are you suggesting and I am not clear on this that at higher speed windshear has pronounced effect at higher speeds or that at higher speed there is risk of structural damage by holding a slightly higher speed than VREF

And in simple cause and effect terms as I am pretty thick )) I would be too scared to test that theory with a normal VREF and 25 KT plus and minus for real )

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 13th Mar 2016 at 11:26.