PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nerves and flying for the sake of keeping current
Old 12th Mar 2016, 20:48
Genghis the Engineer

Received 48 Likes on 24 Posts
The nerves thing I don't get every flight by any means, but do get it - from time to time, when something puts me out of my comfort zone. A new type, above 8/8 cloud, taking an IAP for the first time in months. There are various things that can give me that sense of deep nerves - the only solution I've ever found to it is being as prepared as I possibly can be for what I'm doing, and that's not so much a nerves prevention measure, as an accident prevention measure. (And for what it's worth, I've been flying for 27 years, and had a licence for 23.)

Regarding hours and currency. I do fly for currency - more usually currency of skill than legal minima, but that's just a variation on the same thing. But I think that if that's normal, you're failing to find a reason and justification for your flying beyond "just because".

There are many reasons people find to keep doing and enjoying their flying - here's one you might think about. I put a bit of effort into getting one of their badges (in my case, "just because I could" to be honest, but actually I rather enjoyed it.

LAA Wings | Developing safer pilots

There are plenty of other ideas and opportunities out there - but it's well worth finding something, for all sorts of reasons from pure fun to making you a better pilot. Some of the rallies can be a lot of fun as well - I did the microlight round Britain Rally two years, and gained a lot as a pilot from that, for example. Dawn to Dusk? Top Nav? Aerobatics course towards doing a club competition?

G