PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hawker Hunter Crash at Shoreham Airshow
View Single Post
Old 12th Mar 2016, 09:53
Sir George Cayley

As a youngster, plane spotter and total aviation person, going to airshows was a big part of my hobby. Lost count of how many both here and abroad but not of the fatal and non-fatal crashes I've witnessed.

I was an avid collector of air show brochures, display team hand-outs and if lucky display pilots notes. Amazing what you could get if you just asked.

Sadly it all went a few years ago bar a couple of precious mementos. But, I recall many notes describing in advance the display routine including commentators notes so they could direct the crowd's attention to photo opportunities.

The Rothmans displays were always the same, so too the Sky Hawks aerial ballet to Pink Floyd. More importantly I remember Adrian Gjertson's red Hunter routine and other FJs being scripted. That's not to say there weren't occasions when things changed mid-display but the notion all FJ displays were assembled from a menu of possible manoeuvres doesn't fit with my recollection.

I've only aerobatted light a/c but always set off with a planned sequence. Aresti gave a notation to help us pilots with that.

CAA vs BADA/Guild of seems inevitable and planting something in the Times looks like a strategic move especially just ahead of the AAIB bulletin.

SGC