PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2016, 23:05
ATFQ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And don't lose sight of the big ongoing risk to the VGSs that are due to remain

From yesterday's ministerial statement, all we know for now is which VGSs have survived, not where they are going to be located:

'While work is undertaken to set up this new structure, the future locations of these Squadrons remains subject to the outcome of MOD estate rationalisation due to announce later this year. While it is likely that many Squadrons will remain at their current locations, we are working to ensure that, where this is not the case, flying opportunities will be made available to Cadet Units within their region and any new locations will be as geographically close to the existing locations as possible'.

This is a very real threat. It is not that easy generally these days to relocate a Viking VGS to another airfield 'just up the road' (that just happens to be in the right sort of catchment area, which is suitable for winch launching, and where other tenants do not already have their own busy operations to manage).

So, which of the following 10 planned VGS sites is 'safe' [I have assumed that Syerston is], and what should be (or is being) done to protect them?

Kirknewton (661)
Topcliffe (645)
Woodvale (631)
Ternhill (632)
Little Rissington (637)
Wethersfield (614)
Kenley (615)
Upavon (622)
Merryfield (621)
Predannack (626)

I really do hope that the RAF's most senior officers are making strong representations on the importance of Air cadet gliding to the long-term viability of the Air Cadet Organisation and hence the importance of retaining these sites. I really do hope that this is happening and that it is not being left to chance on the assumption that the Defence Infrastructure Organisation and others will work it out for themselves; they won't.

Last edited by ATFQ; 11th Mar 2016 at 23:46.