PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2016, 10:41
Arclite01

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well even when I was at Watton with 611VGS or Sealand with 631VGS many Cadets had a 2 hour road journey to get to us and fly so in all honesty that's not new................ only at 625VGS @ Hullavington did most of the 'clients' have a reasonable journey length/time as we captured Swindon, Bristol, Gloucester, Oxford, Reading, Slough and several other medium sized towns in a 1 hour radius of travel, and we had accommodation on site as well (inc cookhouse food), good hangarage and onsite POL as well - all on a great airfield. Oh yes - and that is the one we are closing isn't it !! (awesome decision).

This plan also assumes that squadron staff can be found to cover 'yet another' weekend away including an overnight, that transport and drivers can be found for minibuses, that food can be provided (including vegetarian) and that the segregated accommodation can be operated and 'policed' for both sexes............... bearing in mind that many of the VGS operate on non-RAF, non-24hr sites in the middle of nowhere.

...............Not to mention when are the Cadets going to do their homework and College work, many of my students could spend 1 day at the VGS and 1 day doing college work - this plan scuppers that - and we should not estimate just how important College is nowadays to our bright stars..............

I think that the endgame will be a reduction in capability and a reduction in fun. But by then many of the people with experience of the past will have left anyway so there will be no baseline to compare it to. The figures will be wrapped up in 'spin' and everyone will say it's all 'hunky dorey' and it should have been done years ago...............

Losers = Cadets and Staff (not to mention UK Plc)
Winners = Accountants, Politicians and Career Monkeys (the usual)

Arc

Last edited by Arclite01; 11th Mar 2016 at 10:45. Reason: Homework