PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2016, 07:46
lightbluefootprint

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To be fair (and I have not and will not ever be described as a fan of OC 2FTS) if the above mentioned Regional Hubs end up lodged with the Regional Aerospace Centres on stations with other concurrent activities, I can see what used to be half a day's flying turning into something more like a weekend camp. When I was an ATC Sqn Cdr we tried to do this informally by booking the barrack range or any other facility we could on or off station. From the cadet's viewpoint (and they should be the reason ACO staff are doing this if we're being honest) that might be a good thing. If the undertaking of flying once a year and gliding twice a year is meant per cadet, then that is going to be interesting. My Sqn had an average strength of around 60 eligible cadets, that would have required five places per month, and with a large staff team and us making a positive attempt to secure every slot we could (picking up short notice vacancies - schmoozing the AEF Cdr!) we had no chance of achieving that. I hope for the cadets it works, but I am not optimistic.

Speaking as someone with plenty of years in them, as a purist I won't miss the Vigilant experience personally. It was never true gliding, and I made a point of telling everyone who hadn't done a proper winch launch to grab the opportunity, because the two do not compare. Flying in anything is great fun, but I think over the last however long the Vigilant has been around, a lot of cadets have missed out on what I consider proper gliding.