PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hawker Hunter Crash at Shoreham Airshow
View Single Post
Old 10th Mar 2016, 15:14
Flying Lawyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
airpolice
how on earth do they have a situation where you can be "approved" just because a guy at the CAA knows you?
That is a distortion of what the CAA said.
‘Currently a FDD is assessed on the basis of the personal knowledge of the CAA’s Flight Display Inspector about the individual, his competence and capabilities and any other specific intelligence from prior activities.

Do any of us really want this kind of thing to continue?
With a few changes to procedures/rules, Yes, I do.

I don't share the shock/outrage expressed by some.
That, in part, is because over a few decades I have read thousands of reports which make criticisms/proposals for improvement following a thorough examination and detailed analysis of every aspect of the system in place when an accident, fatal or otherwise, occurred - primarily in aviation but also elsewhere. Such documents can create a misleading impression.

Even if every recommendation made by the AAIB in this and its final report is implemented, the review following a serious accident some time in the future will inevitably produce criticisms/recommendations for improvement. That is inherent in the learning process

Equally inevitably, it will produce expressions of shock and outrage from some. That is inherent in human nature.

PhilipG
I would not like to be sitting on the Board of the CAA today.
Whether or not individual members are or even should be concerned, the content of the SB issued by the AAIB today might go some way towards explaining the previously inexplicable comments made by the CEO on behalf of the CAA last week.

[Edit]

Background Noise

Thank you for your very helpful response to my question.

Last edited by Flying Lawyer; 10th Mar 2016 at 15:39.