View Single Post
Old 10th Mar 2016, 14:52
Widger

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Heliport
CAA Board members and officers: 12
Those with any aviation expertise/experience: 4
A former fast jet pilot,
a former manager at Delta Airlines (department not disclosed)/board member of the Manchester Airports Group,
a former Chief Inspector AAIB, and
ACAS (ex officio) who is an Engineer and PPL.
I didn't know that and now that I've read it, I find it a bit disappointing.
I'd have thought that they lack:
1. A senior big jet training captain.
2. A senior ATCO.

I think too many people have a lack of understanding of what a Board of any organisation is there to achieve. If you look at any organisation, there is always a mixture of experience and knowledge as their purpose is to hold an organisation to account.

If you look at British Airways:
An ex tobacco salesman - Chairman
An ex pilot
A chartered accountant
A petro-chemical expert and chairman of unilever
A solicitor
A financial expert
An investment banker and COO of Iberia
An ex Chief inspector of the AAIB
A life peer -ex politician

So pretty similar in all respects and I don't consider BA a failing organisation. They have more than enough technical experts in customer service, engineering and stick monkeying to give them advice.

the corporate governance code is what dictates the make up of a Board.

Corporate governance is the system by which companies are directed and controlled.
Boards of directors are responsible for the governance of their companies. The shareholders’ role in governance is to appoint the directors and the auditors and to satisfy themselves that an appropriate governance structure is in place. The responsibilities of the board include setting the company’s strategic aims, providing the leadership to put them into effect, supervising the management of the business and reporting to shareholders on their stewardship. The board’s actions are subject to laws, regulations and the shareholders in general meeting.

Corporate governance is therefore about what the board of a company does and how it sets the values of the company. It is to be distinguished from the day to day operational management of the company by full-time executives.

The board should be of sufficient size that the requirements of the business can be met and that changes to the board’s composition and that of its committees can be managed without undue disruption, and should not be so large as to be unwieldy.

The board should include an appropriate combination of executive and non-executive directors (and, in particular, independent non-executive directors) such that no individual or small group of individuals can dominate the board’s decision taking.