PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Listen to Dick Smith and you WILL lose everything
Old 10th Mar 2016, 07:38
Ex FSO GRIFFO

Received 56 Likes on 24 Posts
OK OK you've stretched the point a bit too far dick.

Re ' not just the existing amateurish 1930s Flight Service " do it yourself system"

I really do find this offensive. I am not offensive to you. Do I call you 'amateurish' even though you may not be a 'professional' pilot'?

The current 'system' may well be of your 1930's vintage / quality, but,
"FLIGHT SERVICE" it is NOT!!

And, I still remember the letter you sent to the Chief ATC wallah at SY back in the day you were 'delayed' on the ground at BK awaiting your clearance in your very expensive to operate jet, for Canberra, and you were very 'happy' to let him know in no uncertain manner that instead of awaiting for 'his' Controlled Airspace, you were pleased to proceed OCTA and got a 'wonderful service from Flight Service' with NO delays...etc etc

Now, I realise you were only sending this letter to 'pee him off' , not to 'praise good ole FS' - just for them doing their job.

But 'Flight Service' was and always will be, regarded as a 'Professional Service' bound (unfortunately) by the rules and regs of the time!

Quite a few FSO's were Commercial Licence holders, me included, and provided the service in a 'professional manner' according to those 'rules' of the time.

We did not make those rules, but as Public Service employees we had to abide by them.
YOU KNOW THAT.

An apology would be nice.....

Griffo