PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Get out of aviation before you lose everything
Old 10th Mar 2016, 03:25
Old Akro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ex-FSO

I only answered one of your questions:

1. As I noted previously, some avionics manufacture advertise things as using the same tray - inferring slide-in slide-out, but in fact they require a rear connector change and sometimes even a change to the avioincs locking device (ie through screw)

2. WAAS GPS needs not only a new antennae but also new cabling. I THINK that the WAAS GPS antennae is slightly larger too. I would't guarantee that the WAAS one will be bolt in.

3. ADSB requires a C146a GPS input (ie WAAS) and does not allow C129a input. As Dick has noted, this is partly because CASA are taking a very purist technical approach.

4. ADSB requires a "grey scale" output altitude encoder. Unless you altitude encoder is relatively new; you will need one of those too. This will probably require new bracketry and additional wiring and may trigger a static system test.

One of the problems with the CASA regulations is that (unlike the FAA) there is no definition of "minor modifications". Therefore, strictly speaking, everything requires an EO.