PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hawker Hunter Crash at Shoreham Airshow
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2016, 18:10
Flying Lawyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pittsextra

As you say, water has passed under the bridge since then.

I was referring to the push to extend beyond 28 days or is that preempted by the AAIB.
I'm not sure what you mean by "the push".
The Chief Inspector considers the reasons given in support of an application for an extension and decides whether or not to grant it. See my previous post:
Representations should be served upon the investigating inspector within 28 days of service of the notice. However, the Chief Inspector has power to grant extensions. Except in very simple cases, 28 days is too short a period for those concerned to fully consider the contents with their legal advisors, obtain independent expert advice and then prepare representations so extensions in such circumstances are often granted. Rightly so, in my opinion which is based upon experience.
In practice -
Applications for very short extensions are usually granted.
If a longer extension is requested then the reasons need to be correspondingly compelling.
If one or more party has already been granted an extension then it is unlikely that an application by another party for a shorter extension would be refused - because that would be silly.
The AAIB was not unreasonable in my experience but applications I drafted on behalf of parties were always supported by good reasons.

28 days might seem like a long period but in complex cases it is not.