PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hawker Hunter Crash at Shoreham Airshow
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2016, 14:32
Flying Lawyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pittsextra

Re the joint statement

Based upon the limited information available to me, I think the joint statement by BADA & the Air Pilots in response to the CAA Chief Executive's comments was, in general, justified and reasonable. NB: GAPAN ceased to exist in Feb 2014. See: http://www.pprune.org/military-aviat...ir-pilots.html
I have some reservations about a few aspects of the joint statement, but not about the overall tone.

I think it unfortunate, to say the least, that the CEO chose to make such comments when the CAA is at least going through the motions of consulting the air show community which, contrary to the impression he gave, shares the CAA stance re the paramount importance of safety at air shows.

Which comments in the Death of the Airshow thread do you have in mind?
Whilst I think a further review was inevitable and not unreasonable in the aftermath of Shoreham, I am strongly opposed to kneejerk reactions in the form of unnecessary rules and regulations – whether in aviation or elsewhere.

My question related to a loop - which some here think the Shoreham pilot intended, but I don't share their view.

Re the AAIB process

The AAIB should not, and could not properly, reach your hypothetical situation until it has carried out a thorough investigation.

Except where there are urgent safety reasons for publishing interim findings and making associated safety recommendations, there is no merit in my opinion in reporting piecemeal – which includes what you describe as statements of fact.

You appear to have misunderstood what I explained about the notice and opportunity for representations stage.
The AAIB "drives the review" throughout, regardless of circumstances.