PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hawker Hunter Crash at Shoreham Airshow
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2016, 23:24
Heliport

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rigga
I find it interesting that GAPAN spin doctors seem to have redefined the CAA CEO's "resistance" as "declined to co-operate".

I would rudely assume that when the CAA and GAPAN met to discuss the issues, the CAA had already made its rule changes and that GAPAN didn't agree with them...

Something akin to "When an immovable object meets a self-righteous society..."
If you had said "wrongly assume" that would have been correct.
Your assumption is wrong.

You clearly know nothing about the nature of the Air Pilots (formerly GAPAN), its objectives or its achievements in promoting flight safety. It doesn't have 'spin doctors' (as you claim), nor is it self-righteous.

The Old Fat One
As an aside I had a quick look at the CAA executive and there are aviators amongst them, but perhaps in too small a number?
CAA Board members and officers: 12
Those with any aviation expertise/experience: 4
A former fast jet pilot,
a former manager at Delta Airlines (department not disclosed)/board member of the Manchester Airports Group,
a former Chief Inspector AAIB, and
ACAS (ex officio) who is an Engineer and PPL.

In addition, 4 people attend board meetings by virtue of their roles within the CAA.
Of those, only 1 has any aviation expertise/experience: A former RAF Regiment officer.

More specifically I think it very odd, to say the least, that the review body does not include more members with experience of organising and/or participating in air displays whether as pilots or Display Authorisation Evaluators or both.

Extract from the letter:
… as late as mid 2015, Mr Haines was personally involved in trying to offload the responsibility for Airshow management, with its associated deregulation, to the British Air Display Association (BADA). BADA declined, as they perceived this to be a retrograde step with regard to regulatory oversight and fundamental safety.
I am not a member of BADA so don't know what led to this perception.
It struck me as a sensible proposal.