PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Working as a Pilot in China
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2016, 06:35
RealUlli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

Originally Posted by The Dominican
Sorry to be the one to bring this up but....., if you look at all the accidents and incidents of the last decade worldwide......, one g stalls of heavy A/C's, landing on the wrong airports or even taxiways, CFIT, roll off the end of the runway, runway incursion, near miss incidents......, the vast majority have been with western crews at the helm
Nothing like facts to deflate windy arguments like mine.

Originally Posted by neila83
And as for anecdotes about toursts in thailand, aren't pilots supposed to be rational? Not sure what it has to do with anything, but go and look at Aussies in Bali who are the most grotesque example of a single nation I've ever seen. Does that make them terrible pilots?
The same goes for Brits in the Mediterranean, Germans in Mallorca, Russians in Egypt and Turkey, ... (I'm sure there are examples for all other nations, too, these are just the ones that popped into my head)

Morale: never judge a nation by the worst behaviour of their tourists.

The reason why I had the suspicion I posted is, I've been to China quite a few times. What I noted is, they build really nice parks that are absolutely gorgeous when they are new. On the other hand, I can't figure out why they always seem to let them go to waste in very short order (they seem to forget to water the lawns, etc...). I've suspected that while they did hire people to maintain the park, they forgot to write an instruction to water the lawn when it's dry.

In a Tom Clancy novel, one of the Americans compared the Chinese to the Klingons. Sometimes I got the impression that comparison was not too far off the mark - I always tend to assume that when I can talk to someone, he must have a similar culture. My mistake, I know. Adjusting to the Chinese culture it harder than it looks. ;-)

Originally Posted by safelife
They have plenty of candidates, but a shortage of qualified and experienced pilots ready to be a captain.
So, they really have a shortage and are willing to face the facts. Unlike a lot of western (regional?) airlines who appear to have only a shortage of pilots willing to work for peanuts.

Again, thanks for the answers.