PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Prospects for the budding pilot with responsibilities.
Old 7th Mar 2016, 16:18
gfunc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Straya

Mate, more realism - forget all about Australia. Shake a tree and several hundred 200 hour CPL MEIR holders with will tumble out.

GA in Oz is moribund with a bunch of fresh faced wannabes being pumped in at the bottom (thanks to the student loan system and flashy advertising from the schools), with no movement in the airlines picking up people from the top.

Last year when I was finishing up in Oz a couple of jobs came up driving a Stationair around the GAFA doing some form of survey work, allegedly they got several hundred applicants and I was told the people selected had several thousand hours.

I'm sorry if this sounds insulting (it's not supposed to!), but as someone who has gone through the whole Aussie migration process, I can tell you that you are being naive. You're looking at the wrong list to start with - the consolidated list is those occupations which can be offered a 457 temporary visa if employer sponsored, and a case can be shown to the gov that no Aussie with the same skills is available. Try this one instead (notice no pilots on that one!). The Aussies are very picky about who they take, especially now their economy is not so hot, so unless you or you partner can get sponsorship from an employer be prepared to spend a lot of time and money to join the end of a very long queue of unemployed pilots.

G