PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Automation Cautionary Tale
View Single Post
Old 7th Mar 2016, 14:13
Piltdown Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who is right and who is wrong in this debate? Unfortunately, that will only be determined by those judging our industry by the number of smoking holes that can be attributed to lack of basic flying ability. We are not killing enough to change the way we do things. Airlines enforcing strict SOPs (designed almost exclusively for automatic flight) and who punish FDM deviants will crow on about how safe they are because their safety record is impeccable (so far). And because modern standards are so low nearly every airline, including the really gash operators, can show that what they are doing works. So if its not broke... And whether or not our current approach to automation is right or not will depend on how many we think we are going to kill in the future. Unfortunately, airlines are not required to use crystal balls and as they believe nothing is wrong...

Also airports and government agencies have become part of the problem. Like Captain Nervous, they want to control everything. A worthwhile visual approach is almost a thing of the past. It's forbidden! They want to make sure the same houses are hit with the noise of every approaching aircraft on every single flight. Quite what these citizens have done to deserve this I'm not sure. As a result, there is little to be saved (time or money) in flying a visual approach. So most do not.

In general I think we've become our own worst enemies. We have improved to the point where the world believes our skills we can be replaced by automation, procedures and rules. Only when we have gone too far will this miss-truth become apparent.

Personally I fly manually as much as I can. But out of consideration for my colleagues I choose my moments. The aircraft's SOPs are not hand flying friendly and there is too much mouth music. This practice is just for me and I do it to keep current. I might even need it one day.

Finally, I believe it would be criminal if there was any loss of life due to a crew's inability to fly an aircraft. But proving this beyond doubt might be a difficult thing to do. And even if you could, it's not until CEOs can be held criminally liable and possibly end up in prison that things will ever change.

PM