PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My dream - advice please (collective thread)
Old 6th Mar 2016, 23:50
guni83

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Considerations for a lifetime decision

Hi all, I am very new here and need advice from other pilots.
I first started flying at a local flying school in 1997 (Sydney) because I wanted to be a pilot ever since I was little. I only got to my second solo flight and had to stop due to circumstances.

Since then, I spent the first decade attending to other priorities and the second decade thinking it is now too late for me to go back. Almost 20 years later, I have this determination again and a very supportive wife who is telling me to go for it, but I am now 32 years old, have a 3 year old daughter and a stable full time job.

I should be able to fund myself through, CPL, ME and IRO using the combination of our savings and VET Fee Help. Whilst I study, I could probably get a moonlight job somewhere to generate small income whilst my wife continues with her full time job.

However, I don't think we will be left with too much balance in the bank by the end of it and I am not sure how much more money I need to be taking into consideration for supporting myself for the first type rating and to land on the first job.

I will give everything to reach my dream, but I am not willing to make my wife and the daughter go through a struggle with little hope for entering an airliner and need to have some realistic expectations before I can make the decision.

If I complete my training, but find that I have no money left to pay for more hours and type rating, is there many examples of other pilots landing on a job without needing to come up with a small fortune?

I am not expecting that I will make as much as I do now immediately (I ended up in the world of power points and conference calls), just need to see our family through without struggling, hopefully still together as family

Any opinions, advises, tips would be very helpful.