PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Prospects for the budding pilot with responsibilities.
Old 6th Mar 2016, 21:03
Dct_Bombi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello chaps

I have not been on pprune in years, lazy sunday on the couch and read your stories so decided to re-enter the fray for a brief moment as I could relate a little to your situations and will add my 5cents from my past experience.
Don't get caught up on the int/modular debate or the age concern. There is as many routes into airlines as there is applicants quiet literally, everyone has there story so stick with what works for you. if you feel comfortable with southend well then stay there, perphaps when you get to the stage for your cpl/ir go and visit some of the FTO's that have abit more of a commercial set up and mindset... when your building hours fly into, stapleford-bournemouth-leeds-oxford etc etc
The more you visit these places the more questions you will raise and have answered hopefully. What ever you do to put money in your pocket keep that going and save carefully, try to minimise the loan as much as possible as it can be a massive millstone around your neck when you qualify. The hardest part is the next day after training, there is a cost to this time,mcc,currency on mep or meir and your medical and keep your hand in flying or get an Instructor rating or a few hours in a sim for the interview prep, it never ends. Plan smart gentlemen and despite your heart driving you on please do engage the brain as many can and do fall at this stage as cash flow stops.
I went modular and loved it, The only thing i would change is the hour building I completed in the states as it was cheaper, however I definitely feel my flying ability was not the better for it, should have stayed at home.
Ask what you will, no doubt some other people will chime in shortly with more up to date info as its been some time since i trained.
Best of luck chaps