PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 2 blade v 3 blade prop
View Single Post
Old 5th Mar 2016, 23:12
porterhouse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by piperboy84
Anyone want to take a stab atthe pro's and cons of a 2 blade over 3 on the same model aircraft
Typically on a small aircraft 2-blade prop is better for higher cruise speed, 3-blade for better climb.

These are some observations from an owner of Piper Arrow:

I recently fitted a new three blade to my Arrow. I'm still in two minds about it but some observations so far are:

Smoother operation and less vibration at all power settings

Less cockpit noise

Better initial climb performance (around 1200fpm at mtow) up to about 3000 feet after which it drops off significantly

Much better go-around climb rate

Marginally better ground performance - around 5% shorter take off roll

About a 6% LOSS in overall cruise performance which does seem to increase with altitude, although at max continuous power in straight and level it's actually a few knots faster

Only limitation is to avoid continuous operation below 1950 RPM and less than 15" MAP

Slightly more fuel efficient, although I can't figure out why

Slightly cooler engine operation probably due increased cooling airflow through the cowling

Added drag of the extra blade helps when trying to slow down - steeper approaches and quicker deceleration are very noticeable

No change in glide performance - Arrows glide like man-hole covers with rough edges anyway

The only thing I'm not entirely happy about is the reduced cruise performance, but hopefully with a repaint and speed kit fitted, I might get a bit back.

Let me know if there's any specific questions you have