PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helmets - Should you? and Which?
View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2003, 08:07
Aesir

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use the CGF Gallet and I would recommend it to anyone. I´ve used for over 3 years and 1500hrs now and not had any problems.

Mine has an ANR noise reduction system and volume knob. It´s really a noise buster! although I hate to have to remove the 9 volt battery every 10 hrs to recharge it but after flying a whole day after forgetting to recharge I´ll remember. It really makes a difference to have the ANR system.

Its good to have avolume knob because I used to do alot of instructing and if you fly with lot of different types of people with different headset or helmet types then sometimes a volume setting which is comfortable to your fellow aviator will not be good for yourself, so its not enough to simply adjust the volume on the radio or intercom (Single ICS setup!).

The helmet is lightweight, not bulky and the dual visor setup works fine. I have a dark and a yellow visor. The yellow is used in white out conditions which I fly a lot in. However it doesn´t work in all different light conditions for white-out flying!

Somebody mentioned that he´d heard it was not "Crash approved" !!! I sure the company can provide information on chrash test´s but I´m sure there is a limit to all helmets chrashworthiness?

I do not recomend buying a used old helmet! Motorcycle helmets have a life limit of I think 5 or 6 years, I´m sure there is a limit to the life of a helicopter helmet until the composite material becomes brittle, I would at least not take the chance.

Bought the helmet from a company in Florida.