PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Heathrow night flights to continue - government wins appeal
Old 16th Jul 2003, 06:29
Wonko The Sane

Point 7 says : "Noise from i/b to Heafrow ain't a problem on the Isle of Dogs"

Wonko Says : In your opinion - which was perhaps the point I was making. Different people have different opinions and issues. When people have different opinions to yours, that doesn't necessarily make them wrong.

Ploz : "locals used to complain about noise from London City until someone pointed out ..."

Wonko says : There's also the fact that the local population / demographic has changed significantly in this region over the last 15 years - not sure how much that plays in the swing in opinion.

PAXBoy says : "On the numerous occasions that I have slept there she will ask me in the morning if I was disturbed by the 05:00 / 06:00 arrivals? I never hear them"

Wonko says : My experience too. Had lots of people stay here who are completely undisturbed by it. In general I'm not disturbed by it either, but if I wake up early in summer (windows open, etc), I can't get back to sleep because of it. By 7:00 the rest of the world is noisy too (plus I've got out of bed) so it's less noticeable.

It's funny - I'm trying not to offer up opinions here, but I will say this :

London City Airport is very local, yet it doesn't adversely impact my environment in a way that I notice daily and as someone who has been a regular euro-commuter, I've gained real benefits from having an efficient, useful airport within 10 minutes cab ride.

Heathrow is not really local (1hr+ cab ride outside of rush hour, similar times in public transport), it does affect (environmentally) my life (see prior postings), and if it wasn't for the fact that there are no real alternatives for travelling from London to USA/Canada, I'd avoid it like the plague - 'cos it's the worst run airport I've ever been to.

Isn't there a compromise somewhere ?