PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadets grounded?
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2016, 21:29
kaitakbowler

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Arclite01
Tingger

Pobjoy is correct for the TWIN DRUM Winch which preceded the MVG 6 drum winch (and obviously you )

You are correct with regard to your comments on the MVG for which it was beginning to get hard to get spares for since MVG ceased trading. I also felt that since the MVG was not a mainstream bit of RAF kit the MT fitters never really got to grips with it as they only saw it a few times a year..................

WRT to your comments though in the end ACCGS had spare MVG's because there were fewer and fewer Winch Launch schools operating against establishment so I am not convinced about the 'Pause before the Pause' argument - sounds like someone at the centre fobbing you off as they would have to arrange a low loader to move it...............
Arc
I've just picked up this Re the MVG winch, as I looked after a VGS equipped with the MVG I can say with all honesty that it presented no challenge at all in regard to maintenance, the main issue was with poor quality parts provided when spares were required, in particular the vertical guide rollers. As regards moving the winch, we always used a low loader, it was obvious that that was the only way to do it safely, I don't recall ever getting any advice from ACCGS on this, it was a decision we took locally.

PM

PS WE992, surely not "plastic" rope? A "Dyneema" type?