PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - C130J Getting nowhere fast?
View Single Post
Old 16th Jul 2003, 01:59
Captain Gadget

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Herc K cruise

WIWOH...

If I remember rightly, Max Continuous was always 1010 deg C and was the setting that all engine-out cruise data was based on (and that we used if we lost a donk).

However 985 deg C was the normal 4-engine cruise setting when I joined the fleet in 1986 (!) and we had ODM data for it by the bucketload.

The 932 deg C thing was a trial that we later had to do for a while on each flight for 1 hour in the cruise - again, if I remember rightly. I think that that value was chosen because 932 deg C was Max Continuous on the engines fitted to the A model Hercs still then in widespread use by the Spams, and oodles of cruise data for the frame was available from them. The data that were gathered showed that the loss of speed and consequent increase in nightstops and loss of availability (particularly on those devilishly tight European multi-shuttle day trips such as the Deci sched), coupled with the general loss of sense of humour on what was already a famously slow aircraft, led to its being abandoned.

If I remember rightly, of course.

(Got to drink my Horlicks now)

Gadget