PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Concorde question
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2016, 13:49
pegasusaj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Concorde Experience

4May1978 - As the Chief Mechanic of a corporate flight department I attended the annual HS 125 Operations and Maintenance Seminar in Washington, DC. In honor of the sale of the xxx'th 125 all 125 operators were asked to fly in their aircraft for a group photo. The Chief Pilots that did were to get a ride on Concorde. Well, the turnout was less than expected and I was lucky enough to be asked to go on the flight. On that day we were given a talk and then Q and A by Captain Brian Walpole. Interesting stuff to all of us technical types.

That afternoon we went to KIAD to board the incredible machine. All previous posts on this thread describe my feelings as well on the entire flight experience. We flew over Nova Scotia, a bit at Mach 2 and back to KIAD. Capt. Walpole was on the PA from engine start, throughout the flight, to shut down, describing every movement going on up front.

Unforgettable experience for all of us, topped off by the seamless cabin service, smoked salmon, etc., etc. Finally, cognac and, I couldn't believe it, a choice of cigars. Not a one of fired one up then but what a wonderful, old world touch on this state of the art aircraft.

Tonight with a Manhattan and a cigar, I want to express my appreciation and say how humbled I am by the experience, willingness to share and the deep love of Concorde and aviation shown by the experts and other posters here.