PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - My Take: AMP/SP
Thread: My Take: AMP/SP
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2016, 08:37
PatObrien

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Take: AMP/SP

No lawyer here, but a bit concerned by the lack of analysis/direction by all ECs concerning the SP & AMP now in place.

Here's my take, please chime in with opinion - we need this.

Sick Policy - 3 day self-certify; more, get a sick note. If over 3 days sick and no sick note - EXPOSED. Get ready....

Absent Management Policy - Fired ONLY if CAD Med officer deems you unfit for all future duties (i.e.. Your previous sick-outs are due to an underlying non-flight qualifying condition).

Remember the following if called to answer....

"The application of the Policy does not imply that a pilot is doing, or has done anything in contravention of the terms of their employment and should not be confused with the Disciplinary and Grievance Procedure."

Their stated motive........

The aim of the Absence Management Policy........is to manage pilots’ absences from work in a caring, effective, transparent and lawful manner ......... with a view to timely identification of pilots...........with underlying medical conditions in order to help them return to flying duties........

OK, the IDing function aside - how's their "Management" apparatus going to work?

- why the face to face interviews. Cannot this information be relayed via other media? (Intimidation? in contravention of Company Policy?)

- if there is some "chronic" illness causing unfit, unknown to both individual and management - why is there no medical professional requirement at the Stage 1 interview to determine the underlying medical condition - in order to be "caring and transparent" (Again, intimidation, or just incompetence?)

- how could I possibly provide a Med note for a flu occurring 6 months earlier if asked? Crazy intimidation if requested I think.

- If self-certifying, I can see only providing CC "unfit" in 24 hr increments - there is no guidance on unfit period "time detail", nor is there detail on reporting FIT for self certification when the illness is finished (Do I call in and say "I'm good now" at 1803z?) What if I'm unfit for 5 hrs on Mon? That can't possibly be a "day" per the text in the notice, can it? So no issue, right? Why the lack of guidance?....or is it focus on......intimidation?...........

- The idea they propose that you might bring a UNION REP to a "caring" meeting to somehow identify some chronic problem and "help" you return to flying duties - even if you're done with the flu, pinkeye, and random URI for the last 6 months - and are actually flying. No, that's not reason to think intimidation, is it?

First, anyone who gets called for a Stage 1 interview ....... call in sick. You get 1 while you're on it - use it, this is the ultimate irony! When you do have to go bring a union rep. Take another Med Phys if asked. But really, the focus should be asking them "How can you help ME?"

Why aren't the Unions pushing back on this blatant use of intimidation?

Is any of this due to the settlement in the Joshu Omanski case?