PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Huge Willy Airspace
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2016, 05:31
paddy125

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Alchemy101
So does anyone know why the coastal route is so low, and inflexible?

I recall heading south, after holding at Anna Bay at 1000 for about ten minutes, that my request to descend to 500 due weather was refused multiple times. Maybe it's because they wanted to keep us on radar, but was there seriously traffic below us ??

And has anyone ever been granted clearance to deviate from the corridor due weather (e.g. cutting the corner to avoid the usual Port Stephens low cloud)?
The jets usually go up and down there at 250' AGL so yeah maybe someone coming through below you.
Also Comms are bad up that way so you might not be able to communicate with atc if you descend too low. You can probably get a deviation from track if you wanted but it would be based on other traffic around.

Dick: I live near the field and counted at least 8 different hornets take off for when you're talking about and I believe they managed to transit to Richmond under something called an 'IFR flight plan'. Personally I don't know much about how they operate so I'm just assuming. I'm also assuming that they have massive chunks of airspace because when they train they do a lot of manoeuvring which at 400 bills probably uses up a fair chunk of sky. When transiting to Richmond they wouldn't be manoeuvring any more than an airliner which would be why they manage to get through that venture unscathed even without the whole eastern side of Australia's airspace closing.

I hope my application of common sense cleared up a few of your questions, Dick.