PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engine Failure on Takeoff! Flight Path?
View Single Post
Old 19th Jul 2001, 12:23
safety_worker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Hi,
First of all, the posting by 'flier tuck' was by me. I can't seem to understand how it got under his name. replied to my email from pprune in this hotel here and clicked to reply and posted. It did under his name, which I realised after it went back to the forum. In a rush to catch the transport and missed apologising earlier. :o
Back to the forum -
Mutt - 'All ' SIDs don't guarantee an engine failure obstacle clearance. I believe it's the operators responsibility to verify obstacle clearances for its type of aircraft at the fields it operates out of, and then if necessary create an EOSID/Emergency Turn 'guaranteeing' obstacle clearance!
How far do you go straight ahead? - 10 minutes! I 'think' this distance (varying speeds) can be determined by the operator using Max Structural TOW. All obstacles in this 'cone' will have to be considered, otherwise an ET (emergency turn) produced.
I quite agree with the MAP. You 'may' not be guaranteed obstacle clearance as in the SID. An ET, single engine missed approach point will have to be created (height/altitude).
John, I agree with you, however, to consider various points in a SID at which a pilot can have an engine failure and then work out the obstacle clearances from those various points is a very, very hard task.
The norms for creating an ET will have to be determined first, before studying the obstacles around the airfield (range? To be determined!)
I don't think all situations can be covered. The pilot has to know his airfield as well. One can always ask their 'performance man' questions. Talk to the boss and create a rule for ET.
Beamer - absolutely right! The options for the 'day' have to be thought out and briefed on the apron.
Still no ATC input? Their story is also quite interesting!