PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engine Failure on Takeoff! Flight Path?
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2001, 22:53
Chimbu chuckles

Grandpa Aerotart

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ahh, wonderful stuff this !!.

I think we are pretty much on our own a lot of the time. I used to fly for an airline that operated jets in very high DAs and we had Jepp Special Procedures that dumped us at 1500' AGL which was about 10000' below MORA, with terrain VERY HIGH and VERY CLOSE that went for F**KING MILES in every direction! We knew the area like the back of our proverbials and so had some more 'home grown stuff' that would give us maximum chance of surviving said V1 bad news.

Now I'm CP for a Bizjet op where we operate into places on 'one offs' or rarely. We go to Kunming for instance(6300amsl/MSA 11800ish) at 2am (twice lately) and I had to sit down with one of my Captains and work out WTF we would do in case of trouble.

We worked out that by following parts of several SIDs that dovtailed nicely we could make MSA on one engine and ended up at an NDB from where we could join an arc for an ILS back to land. Any one SID required a minimum of 5% climb gradient.

My/our SOP for Kunming requires that we fly our 'escape route' no matter what to MSA(night/IMC) just in case one fails below MSA but after V1.

Straight ahead is good often times but I only go to 10 nm and then turn back to overhead.

As a general rule I use CAT C or D circling minimas(Pan Ops version ie 4.2nm for C or 5.28nm for D. TERPS 1.7nm for C how do you guys do it??) as accel alt and if an IMC departure was the go and I was not familiar with the surrounds would usually look carefully at the Missed Approach Procedure for the runway I'm using and maybe follow that.

If terrains not an issue but traffic is following a SID is good, particularly in less 'developed' parts of the globe.

Don't give a rats about noise and if I can roar over an MPs house and ruin his day well that's a bonus

Bottom line? A dogmatic approach will kill you! Every departure is different and requires thought. Even different times of the day off the same runway in severe clear VMC could require a different plan of action for one reason or another.

Just bloody glad the weather is not THAT BAD THAT OFTEN so can 'manouvre visually clear of terrain' totherwise I might get stressed

Chuckles.

[ 18 July 2001: Message edited by: Chimbu chuckles ]