PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engine Failure on Takeoff! Flight Path?
View Single Post
Old 18th Jul 2001, 21:41
john_tullamarine

Received 101 Likes on 68 Posts
Having great trouble logging this post ... hopefully it appears only once ..

Seldom do I have the chills up my spine which I have from reading this thread.

Most airlines schedule for a V1 failure only .. with an escape path if necessary. They ignore the case of a failure post V1 on the climb to enroute conditions. This I know applies in a number of quite large international airlines. I have just started a contract with such an operator and sat in on a pilot performance lecture this morning. When I asked the PE lecturer this question his answer was to the effect that it was the pilot's problem.

A sensible flight department will ensure that its ops eng support team provides analyses of failure at ANY POINT in the post takeoff flight path until enroute clearance has been attained... certainly that is what my operator clients get.

What it boils down to is this ...if YOUR people only look at the V1 failure case and you have a failure airborne .. then you are on your Pat Malone my dear .. if there are any hills of note around then you are, very likely, DEAD MEAT !!

Forget SIDs ... they have nothing to do with OEI escape paths and generally the relevant preambles make this quite quite clear.

Please do ask your ops engineers what they do and do not include before you go off assuming things which, perhaps, you ought not to .....