PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engine Failure on Takeoff! Flight Path?
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2001, 23:47
Last Sector Power

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hope I'm not down the back when all you people fly straight ahead on one engine, below MSA & in IMC not following any published procedure. Lets hope there isnt a bit mountain in the way where the SID would turn you away.
The reason for most Emerg turns as the A/C can't make the required climb grades on the SID with a failure (standard SID 3.3%, noise requires may be a lot higher but are not a requirement in the event of an emerg, As Mr Jepperson states in the front of those big books in the cockpit) so if you dont have a ET and can't make the SID then what the F*** are you doing taking off knowing in the event of a failure you can't out climb the terrain
The other option is to have a higher takeoff wx limit ie- not going IMC before a set height, so if this is not made you can circle to land(VMC), if it then fails you have already out climbed the SID to a point and form there (with a/c actual %) you will still clear obstacles.
Missed approach is 2.5% so it follows if the above are met you are ok (a lot of companies i know have a higher MDA/DA with an engine failure so obstacle clearence can be met in the event of a MAP if you you cant make 2.5%)

If you can't make any of these and you still depart you have either have BIGGER Nuts than me or less Brains (take your pick but its not first I would quess)