PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bristow S76 Ditched in Nigeria today Feb 3 2016
Old 3rd Mar 2016, 08:09
HeliComparator

Received 42 Likes on 22 Posts
Crab a couple of points:

It is interesting to note that EASA's Prof check doesn't require AP out flying. It's something covered in the initial skills test (IIRC) only. This applies to all ME types. I don't subscribe to that view for the many types with limited autopilot redundancy / reliability and of course an operator can always choose to add stuff. But it does go to show the Authority's view on the subject.

Secondly and more importantly we are fortunate compared to our FW colleagues in that every takeoff, final approach and landing is flown manually, as often is inter-rig shuttling. (Well except for the SAR guys who seem to need a button to fly an approach and to hover). Landing offshore at night can be quite challenging. Therefore I don't think there is a risk of us getting to the state of inability to fly that some of our FW a colleagues seem to have reached.

As to fields of operation I always maintain that aviation is very role specific. Yes offshore flying is one such narrow role but it is hard to see the benefit, and certainly not feasible, to train offshore pilots in other role skills that they will never need. So for example we had a small group of pilots rated for winch and underlslung, they received the relevant training and practice, but if we had done that for everyone there wouldn't have been enough opportunity to actually carry out the role and so it would have been counterproductive since no-one would have been current.

By the way when I was a trainer on the SAR L2 I found that role equally narrow. Yes the guys were great at dangling things over the side and fishing things out of the water (much, much better than me) but in other areas many were pretty poor simply because they never needed to do it and so lacked the motivation and practice. C'est la vie!