PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jabiru Twin redefining Ugly
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2016, 07:00
rutan around

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A few weeks ago I was in Bundy and was fortunate enough to watch some of the Jab Twin test flights and afterwards talk to the test pilot. (Much more enjoyable than destroying a perfectly good aircraft to comply with SIDS to solve some data free non existent problem whilst bleeding dollars by the thousand)
The pilot said flying on one engine was a pretty benign event and over the nose visibility was good as the slope of the nose was just a continuation of the windscreen slope. The engines are attached to each end of a canard (nothing wrong with canards ) and the canard is bolted to the firewall where the engine would be if it was a single so it's pretty easy to keep the CofG where you want it. The twin is in Bundy for testing and modification as required. Cowls and vertical stab were to have some attention. I loved the short engine control runs from the cockpit. I reckon if one fell off you could just reach out and operate the engine by hand.
The reason the Jab was modified to be a twin by a Mineral Exploration Company in Africa wasn't due to stroppy farmers toting AK 47's . It was because after a successful forced landing of one of their planes it cost the company millions in ransom money to get their pilots back. They figured it would be cheaper to develop a twin than to risk paying more ransom money. ( This would never happen in Australia. It would be cheaper to pay the ransom money.)
Cheers RA