PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vuichard technique for settling with power?
Old 3rd Mar 2016, 06:28
Rotorbee

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Oh boy, he is really trying to get himself into the history books.

@N529s: Was to be expected and you point out, why the whole VRS recovery discussion is lame. I think your test has merits, because the best thing is to avoid VSR altogether, the second best is getting out of it as early as possible, the worst is to let build up a huge descend rate and probably crashing before you wake up.

Crab, I could not agree more. I only have my doubts about the common FDVRS definition. Every research, every aerodynamics paper, Prouty, Antonio Fillipone, all of them show, that at the claimed high descent rates, there is no real VRS anymore. While you can't get rid of vortices completely, the rotorblades do not sustain a huge vortex ring, because the air molecules just will not follow a ship down at that speed. Stubborn little bastards.
Therefore Vuichard has an easy game getting out of it. He isn't even in there. All he does is getting rid of the stalled area. The tail rotor is perfectly working in that state. It might even be faster than pushing the stick forward, because there is additional help going sideways from the tail rotor and going sideways will not loose that much altitude compared to shoving the stick forward to the stops and literally diving out of it. In that case I still loose altitude when the VR is long gone. Speeding up the ship from lets say 10 to 15 knots in any direction is done in a blink of the eye and your out of it. If N529s is willing to do another test, he could measure stick displacement. But that is rather difficult. Isn't there an app for this?
(Just an idea. Two pencils, a ruler, two rubber bands and a knee pad. Make an H with the ruler and the pencils. Hold one pencil like Shawn Coyle does it with the new students and place the other pencil on the knee pad - with a paper. Crude but might work).
Will the Vulcan Technique save any lives? I am sure the claims will come, but since nobody is crazy enough to repeat the same mistake willingly just to prove anybody's point, we will never know for sure.
And I go with Nick Lappos again:
Like Typhoid Mary, VRS has been blamed for crimes where it wasn't even in the neighborhood
Surprise, surprise, it was SWP.