PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Liberal Party wins, Bombardier wins
View Single Post
Old 2nd Mar 2016, 14:11
Willie Everlearn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GF
Cancelling existing commercial agreements would likely put Republic, or whatever 'new' name airline it chooses to call itself, in a position to do whatever it wants with whatever aircraft type it wants. I don't see how they could be held to existing scope clauses in cancelled agreements. Once they emerge from bankruptcy protection, we'll know where they're headed and whether or not scope will apply. Assuming they'd remain a regional airline with existing commercial agreements is merely that, an assumption. My assumptions are that they will either move on to something new, (as regionals will likely shrink in size or disappear) or they (Republic) might even cease to exist.

peekay4
You keep emphasizing the poor management of BBD as the reason why they've ended up where they are today. Pretty hard to argue or disagree with you on that. But, this company is under new management and has been for most of 2015. You don't seem to have taken this into account. (Correct me if I'm wrong) New management are well qualified and capable of guiding BBD in the right direction. They're all aerospace executives with proven records. They've made many significant changes already and I think, given time, we'll see them right the ship. But it will take time and like many who invest in this company, waiting is agonizing.
Ripping them apart for past decisions and poorly timed multiple new aircraft programs may be an accurate assessment but it's easy to do and nothing more than hindsight. Most of us know how BBD ended up in this position but this management group wasn't around when those decisions were made.
I haven't heard them asking the Canadian government for any "blank cheque". They did ask for their investment of $1 billion and rare is it that our government gets a ROI. Whether or not they would, remains to be seen as they've yet to invest.
Junior gave $2.6 billion to underdeveloped nations to fight global warming and no one in this country balked. I'm sure politics and greed will see a lot of that money diverted but I'm also confident not many Canadians will squawk.
Conservatives all but killed aerospace in 1957 and you're advocating Junior put a gun to this company's head with conditions. I have little doubt negotiations will cover a lot.
If he ever does invest in BBD for Canadians, I'm sure some of that money will be to someone's benefit. Hell, some might even be bought off.
That's nothing new, it's just reality.
I happen to be in favour of helping this company succeed. Just like the EU did when Airbus was born. One things for certain, if BBD fails, a lot of businesses fail with it and that would be disastrous for Canadian aerospace. For me this is a show stopper.

Willie