PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas 787 recruitment for cadetship
View Single Post
Old 2nd Mar 2016, 12:06
Derfred

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
QF's CEO said to someone a while ago that he would make more money running two 789's Sydney-Dallas per day than one A380. I guess that supports the arguement of A380 being not fuel efficient on long legs. But the same CEO chose to replace the 744 with an A380 on that very route. I understand the 744 didn't quite have the range, hence the Brisbane triangle on the return. Seat-mile cost isn't everything if you can't make your destination. Mind you, fuel cost was much higher when he made that comment.

I'm also told that even the A380 needs to block out around 50 seats Dallas-Sydney. But it has more real estate for premium seats. The 789 doesn't. So the margin probably depends upon how many premium seats they can sell at top dollar, which will obviously vary with global economic conditions.

I think the 777-8X will be the eventual saviour of QF, considering that most of it's high value routes are ultra-long-range (unlike most other airlines). That will let them ditch the A380 and 744, and use the 789 on the thinner long range routes.

Now, I think they know that. I just wish they would order some. If they had 777-8X's around the corner, all they would need is another downturn, $700M loss, write of the 4-engine jets, post a record $5B loss from accounting write-downs, complain to the Government, sack 10000 staff, reduce the salaries of the remainder, then have a record profit the following year with massive bonuses all around.