PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How high do you fly?
View Single Post
Old 2nd Mar 2016, 00:17
turbopropulsion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pace, and Pulse 1 with his question how does a bog standard PPL tell the difference between the PTT and disconnect button on the yoke?

With only 30 hours on my personal PPL book (plus some gliding) a friend of mine arranged for me to "fly" a BA 111 at Cranebank. The real thing that the real pilots did their check rides and training on. My hour and a half was after midnight...

So the scenario I asked for was the one in the storybooks; "Can anybody fly the plane? (aircrew struck down by ptomaine poisoned fish and chips, whatever). So I stepped into the cockpit, strapped into the LH seat.

And pressed the wrong button, right off the bat. Intending to radio for assistance, of course.

Not until I noticed the altimeter unwinding steadily did I get really concerned, increased the power, etc etc. But alas, the ground approached all too soon, and they opened the door in the rear of the sim and said "guess what, you're dead!" Unlike real life, of course, I got another chance, and this time pressed the correct button. Got someone on the "radio" who talked me through a safe landing at LHR. Did that 3 times, what a lark!

But my general rule is in flying, if you think you have a problem, but you are still right side up, do nothing. Think first, ask for assistance if you have radio. Doing nothing is still a very good plan. Once towing a glider back abeam Upper Heyford, we were distracted by a couple of US fighter jets performing maneuvers nearby, and the glider got way out of position, alongside instead of behind me. I couldn't think what to do, so I did nothing, and the glider sorted itself out.
How much was your experience on the sim?