PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Arming both ap for approach
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2016, 23:10
B737SFP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've seen a couple go arounds during the last years and I can tell you that only a few proceeded as expected.

Thanks god we have LNAV to help us nowadays, because for what I've seen, I believe things could get pretty messed up at times when all had to be flown manually and raw data.

I've tried to "program" myself during every single approach to review the steps of the go around manoeuvre, that's probably the best way to be sharp in case I have to discontinue the approach and move on.

One thing that really caught my attention is why 737 pilots tend to disconnect the auto throttle before commencing a go around. Man, this is something that really get to my nerves ! This has to be some kind of muscular memory or something (as we usually disconnect the autopilot and a/t at the same time)

I once heard from a captain, that even with the auto throttle disconnected the thrust levers would move once he press the Go Around button (I'm not talking about the ARM mode, I'm talking about a BLANK A/T mode on the FMA)...

Yeap, that was one of the most crazy ****s I've ever heard during my 6.5 years flying the 737.

Safe Go Arounds Folks !