View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2016, 18:57
Chronus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Nialler
This whole thing concerns me.

I love a drink. I won't die sober.

Certainly not on a flight.

So I have a couple of wines before a flight. Before a Ryanair flight I'll have a last one and be the last on the flight.

Not delaying the thing, of course, just sure to be that last in the queue at the rear door.

I do regular stints. My latest normal one is the return between Charlerois and Edinburgh. I emphasise that I am a drunk - one who wears a suit.

Two wines get me through the flight, or maybe a large G&T.

Planes aren't great places to drink. I can if needed drink before, during and after a flight.
Seems there is a compelling argument for drinking in order to fly, as flying is dangerous and those who have covenanted not to die unless inebriated must therefore ensure that they are totally sozzled when they are about to kiss goodbye to parts that are not normally accessible.

So I did a quick bit of googling about sobriety and aviation. This is what came up.

In the area of internal aerodynamics we concentrate on the flow of gases and liquids in confined spaces. In general cases, it is necessary to solve problems with medium compressibility, viscosity, turbulent behavior and other nonlinearities, which ranks the area to difficult subjects, not just to engineering applications. The aim of our optimization is usually to find a suitable channel shape for optimal gas flow, in order to meet defined requirements such as minimum pressure loss, maximizing the flow etc.

The above is a description of the services offered by Sobriety.

So now I understand why it is necessary to drink before, during and after flying and it is encouraging to find that something is being done about the difficulties it causes to the internals when it comes to drinking in the air.

Hic