PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Automation Cautionary Tale
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2016, 08:08
Le Chevalier Noir

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having flown for the Lidl-coloured loco, and moved on to a flag carrier I don't believe that the modern flight deck is solely responsible. Equally, and maybe even more guilty is the company culture and strict SOP. We have seen many accidents the last few years occurred due to poor flying skills. Yet the airlines discourage and prohibits its pilots to fly manually/visually/raw data.

My previous "employer" lead by that ghastly chief pilot, was not so bad at a time. Not being one of those famous aces you hear so much about, I still managed to manually fly full IFR procedures without the use of those fancy-coloured Flight Suggestors and fly a decent visual approach not hurting anyone. Sometimes not even my own pride.

Even though the captains rarely (especially the British ones) did the same I never met any objections flying manually for take off and landing below 10 000'. Nowadays, they prohibit raw data flying. A visual approach has to be created in the box and flown in full magenta mode. Latest from the management is to even limit the use of other A/P-modes than the most magenta ones, eg not climb in level change or God forbid, vertical speed.

At my current company, we are free to fly the aircraft basically within the limitations of the manufactor. We don't get harassed and threatened by the management. If we make a mistake, we say so and explain why this happened. With this company culture, people utilize the full use of automation when appropriate, but don't hesitate to disengage everything and fly a tight, stable visual approach when needed. I can see people are much more comfortable in their role, makes better decisions and in the end leading to a better job being done.

It's not the automation that is the problem, it's how we use and not use it that is. And a pilot under stress, afraid of making mistakes and in doubt if he/she can do what he/she thinks is the best move at the time can be a dangerous pilot if bad luck strikes.

Just my experience.