PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK F/O - Cost of living in Dubai
View Single Post
Old 29th Feb 2016, 05:16
scrambledegg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Simply put... Very expensive. I have three children. My FO pay packet has been diminishing quicker every year longer I have been here, go figure! We live simply. Very little take away's or eating out. We shop as cheap as possible. Our children do minimal sports outside of school. We have one car only, no boats, motorbikes or any other toys. School fees are climbing at a much greater rate then the allowances provided! As a new joiner there are many hidden costs, UAE id cards for instance that are not covered for your family. Letter translations, typing etc. Licences, phones etc. The 45k helps with the cash flow but it will disappear very rapidly.
I personally still enjoy the flying although the hours are getting out of control. I think management have forgotten its not a domestic airline! I have a very supportive family but the strain is showing on the wife, understandably. The kids regularly ask when I'm going to be home? Reason I left the last airline!
I don't regret the move but every year I do wonder how many more I actually have in me here.
Not saying don't come, in fact we need you but if you are happy and have family around you I would consider carefully the move.
Good luck all.