PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK F/O - Cost of living in Dubai
View Single Post
Old 29th Feb 2016, 03:36
120feet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Less and Less

You will never make as much as your first year here. Next year the VAT is coming. The cost of living here increases 10-12% a year. So to be break even next year you would need a pay raise of 17%. Not going to happen. Kids on an FO salary is a hard slog. Schooling is far from free. I understand it looks like a lot of $, and in fact it is. It just does not get you far here when you have kids. Used car and furniture is a must. You will not save $ here with more than two kids on an FO salary. The Provident fund aside. But you must stay here for 5 years to get that. Everyone I spoke to with kids, it was 2-3 years before they were break even from the move here. So your first two years are a wash. There are many leaving now who thought this their career airline. My opinion is your health is not worth it. There is a reason why people are leaving, and some without jobs. While the dwindling $ is part of it. Mostly the rostering and T&C degradation is really why people are going. That and the utter contempt EK has towards its pilot group. "If you don't like it leave.", is a true story, and that precisely sums up how you will be treated. EK is currently short about 20% on their pilots. They plan on hiring enough to cover attrition and some of the new aircraft. Meaning they will be even shorter next year. Worse rostering and leave. You are not entering into a place that is going to get better any time soon. All this IMHO.